Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas in NZ

I don't think I will ever get use to Santa Claus wearing shorts and having a picnic. I found it amusing when I first arrived to NZ, but thought I would be use to it after 7 years....nope!! I miss the cold breath on Christmas Eve and my grandmother's fireplace on Christmas day. It does however make being homesick easier to cope with during the holidays.

The internship has been fun and I've learned so much about how to handle and catalogue items of value. Besides textiles, I have grown fond of the printed word...not only books, but also diaries that have handwritten entries by soldiers or emigrants. I have an interest in print culture and am looking forward to studying more of the subject in next year's classes.

Design, obviously, has taken a back seat. On the one hand, I'm annoyed by it...on the other hand, I see it as a turned page that I can always go back to. Calligraphy, for the moment at least, has taken much of my time. Oh, I've managed to work a bit on cross stitch, but only because this particular project has sentimental value since the same pattern was made by my mother for my grandmother years ago and hangs in her corridor. I wanted the same in my dining room. My daughter began it a couple of years ago, but put it down and hasn't touched it since. I decided to finish it and have been working on it for a week now. I hope to finish it before classes begin.

I also hope to complete the bracelet I began. I have promised one person in particular to design the bracelet and make the pattern available. I do want to keep my promise.

Additionally, the garter pattern will be up soon for downloading. It is on a pdf file but be fair warned, it has not been proofed, so tat at your own risk.

And lastly, I hope to complete a hussif I began 4 years ago. Funny thing...it only needs a couple of hours to complete. How could I have put it away without finishing it then? Go figure. It is really silly when I think about it. There must have been something more important at the time.

No comments: