Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Internship

I am participating in an internship at one of the historical villages here in New Zealand. I have really enjoyed it so far and know for sure that I would like to be involved in museum work when I finish my degree, if not sooner. This village is similar to Amish Acres in Indiana, but there is a lot more history since it deals with early settlers in Auckland. Take a peek at their website:

*****
So, what have I learned so far? Well, as an intern I am training how to handle precious objects such as leather books, dishes, wooden objects, and textiles. The only tedious job I've done so far is having to sweep dust from inner crevices of books, page by page. Yep...very tedious work; but it is really interesting to read the diaries of some people. That to me is the rewarding part - to know first hand experience of someone who first came to New Zealand.
*****
I've also learned some aspects of database entry for museum cataloguing. It's a good thing I took that optional computer science class after all. I didn't think I would ever use those skills...how silly of me...duh! At the moment, my training is Collections work which means that I handle and clean itmes, and then catalogue them. I also might have a go at Curatory work, which entails research and display. I like to clean items because it gives me the opportunity to see how they are made and their details, some of which is astonishing. Curatory work is interesting too because of the social history each piece tells. My goal is to get a job at the Auckland Museum working behind the scenes. Fingers crossed!
*****

No comments: